During the archaeological excavations in Mārciena, the oldest burial place dated back to the 2nd century AD was discovered. Mārciena also known as Marxne, was firstly mentioned in the 1213 Chronicles of Indrikis, when the Bishop Albert of Riga and the King Visvaldis of the Lands of Jersika met in Marxne to sign an agreement of surrender, by which lands of Jersika state, as before it, Courland and Semigalia, became the property of the German Crusaders and the knighthood of the Livonian Order.
Since the end of the 13th century Marxne was ruled by the Baron Tiesenhausen’s family. From the middle of the 19th century Marxne was governed by the new owner – Voldemars, Baron von Maidel. At that time, in the middle of Vidzeme he had created an outstanding masterpiece of the Rococo Revival style, once the most luxurious Palace in all the Baltics. Unique photographs of von Maidel’s Palace and its interior have been well preserved and can still be seen in the Latvian State’s History Museum. Manor itself was created slightly after and was used as an economic unit and a hunting manor.
During the end of the Great War, manor was caught into the flames and burned down. After the beginning of the Civil War, it has not been touched by the Reds and has not seen the horrors of the Red (Bolshevik) Terror. At that time, manor belonged to the Baron von Hanschman and his wife, Veronica Asers, one of the talented young pupils of one the famous composers of his time Jazeps Vitols as well as one of the founders of later known Latvian State Conservatory. In 1920, according to the laws of newly established Republic of Latvia, the Marxne manor was reduced, while aristocracy was dissolved. After the end of the Second World War, manor was used as an orphanage, where worked now famously known Latvian writer Ilze Indrāne, who have also described life in the manor. After the orphanage and up till 1996 manor became and was used as a Primary school and after 2003 it has been completely restored, maximally preserving most of the historical evidence.
Manor’s Coat of Arms
The Coat of Arms of Baron von Maidel’s family was discovered in assistance with heraldic expert Imants Lancmanis. In 2008 Manor’s Coat of Arms was plasticized by the sculptor Janis Srupulis, while it has been re-casted and gilded in the workshops of the Rundale Palace. It is 2 meter high, 1,50 meter wide and with total weight of 1,5 tons. The face covering depicted in the coat of arms with ostrich feathers confirms the baron’s title, bullets – heroism, while fish – wealth and luck.
Manor’s Park and houses
Unlike the castle or a palace, manor has always been an economic structure, the task of which was to ensure the prosperity of the lord of the castle. Baron von Maidel had sold the manor around 1860-ties, while its last owner was Baron von Hanschman. Within the Manor’s complex 6 buildings in total are located – the Lord’s of Mārciena house, the Barn – now the SPA of the Manor, the Horse Stable – now known as the Stone House, the Blacksmith’s house – now serving for as the Suite, the servants house, as well as the ruins of mills bombed during the Second World War by the pond.